The Rewrite Cancer Innovation Challenge is now closed.
The submissions are in! Thank you for your interest in the Rewrite Cancer Innovation Challenge. Our Steering Committee is hard at work evaluating the many exceptional and innovative submissions we’ve received.
Your ideas could help improve the cancer experience
One winning submission from each of the four categories outlined below may have the opportunity to further develop their ideas with a benefit of funds or in-kind services of up to a maximum value of $50,000 CAD. This benefit can include research support and partnerships with policy experts, advocacy groups and medical professionals.
Get inspired. Read about last year’s winners here
How it Works
Teams will collaborate to discuss, brainstorm, rethink and offer a solution to the Challenge, and help Rewrite the story of cancer for tomorrow’s patients.
Each team’s submission must fit in to one of four categories:
- Patient Disease Awareness and Education
- Patient Support
- Health Policy
- Medical Education
Please see the Rewrite Cancer Innovation Challenge Official Rules and Regulations for further details on each of these categories.
Submissions must align to one or more of the following disease areas:
- Lung cancer
- Breast cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Bladder cancer
Submissions must also:
- Be written in the English language
- Be no more than 1,000 words in length
- Come in the form of a PDF (up to 20MB)
Include the following information:
- Team name
- Team leader’s name and email address
- Team members’ names and email addresses
- Company, institution or organization team represents
- Submission category
Two supplemental files, such as photos (PNG or JPG up to 10MB per photo) and videos (MP4 up to 1GB), may also accompany submissions.
Each team can ask the Steering committee up to two questions to help guide the development of their submission. The Steering committee will review and answer questions submitted. Questions and answers will then be compiled and shared with all registered teams.
Once the Challenge closes, the Steering committee will review and evaluate all submissions, and choose the winning submission(s) in June 2019.
Registration OpensJanuary 14, 2019
Submit QuestionsFebruary 19, 2019
Submission DeadlineApril 1, 2019
Submissions must have a clear approach that offers an innovative solution to the Challenge. Each submission will be reviewed by the Rewrite Cancer Steering committee of oncology experts based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of outlined proposal
- Evidence of a well thought out design (e.g. approach, executional considerations, resources, etc.)
- Methods of measuring impact/outcome
- Feasibility and broad applicability
- Innovative thinking
Please see the Rewrite Cancer Innovation Challenge Official Rules and Regulations for full details and weighting on evaluation criteria.
Steering Committee Members
Our steering committee of oncology experts will identify the leading ideas that may help make a difference in the lives of Canadians living with cancer.
- Kathy BarnardCo-founder and Steering Committee member, Collective Oncology Network for Exchange, Cancer Care Innovation, Treatment Access and Education (CONECTed)
- Dr. Nathaniel BouganimAssistant Professor of Oncology, McGill Faculty of Medicine
- Dr. Anil KapoorProfessor and Director of Research, Division of Urology – McMaster University
Chair, Urologic Oncology Research Centre (UORC) Hamilton
- Dr. Paul Wheatley-PriceAssociate Professor of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Division of Medical Oncology,
President, Lung Cancer Canada